Sunshine George Cross Football Club
Sunshine George Cross Football Club
Menu Content

Next Match

UNDER 21 - 5.00 PM
Another Precious point for the Georgies PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 31 May 2009


Sunshine George Cross Line up: M. John, M. Cini, J. Clancy, N. Schwall, N. Hooks, C. Konstas, J. Webster, G. Papadopoulos, J. Sapazovski (P. Koutsoupias 63), S. Manceski (B. Cogger 66), W. Wallace. Subs: T. Johnstone, E. Christodoulou, A. Pecora.

Our first visit to Hume City's Valley Ground in Broadmeadows

saw our team extend their unbeaten run to seven matches. The hard earned point came as a result of some great defencive efforts by every defenders who worked hard and put their bodies on the line to keep the home team at bay. For the best part of the match Hume City asked the most questions, but failed to find an answer against a very well organised defence. The home team could have taken the lead after only 6 minutes when City coach Andy Vlahos was denied by a brilliant finger tip save from Martin John. For the remainder of the first half there was little between the two sides with the game being restricted into a midfield battle. Georgies attacking forays were few and far between with most attacks coming from the right flank. There was no variation in the play and little use was made of speedster George Papadopoulos on the left wing. Hume fared little better with most of their attacking moves stemming from Ross Thompson, who provided the ammunition for Vlahos and Zoran Petrevski. The Georgies had a let off prior to the break when a Vlahos centre was headed goalwards by Petrevski. His header lobbed over Martin John but Jack Webster produced a goal line header onto the post. The ball fell nicely for Vlahos but he was quickly closed down by desperate Georgie defenders who cleared the danger. On resumption John Sapazovski broke through the Hume back line and it took a finger tip save to deny the Georgies taking the lead. Hume maintained posssesion for long periods and had the Georgies defending deep in their own half. A Ross Thompson free kick from just outside the penalty area went narrowly over the bar, and former Georgie Jonathon Munoz could only direct his shot at Martin John from a good position. Munoz was once again found wanting when his header caused little danger. Hume's big central defender Tanser Baser came close but Martin John was once again well placed to deal with the Danger. Andy Vlahos was proving to be handful and looked dangerous when he got behind the Georgie defence. He looked certain to break the deadlock until Matthew Cini brilliantly intercepted the move. Vlahos was at it again a few minutes later when he tested Martin John with a long range shot. John was in fine form and would not be beaten, finger tipping the ball over the cross bar. The Georgies came out of their shell and enjoyed their best period of the game. They created some good chance with the best falling to substitute Peter Koutsoupias. The ball fell nicely for Koutsoupias who could not re-act quickly enough to get his shot at goal. Hume defenders didn't give second chance and cleared the danger. Neal Hooks produced a brilliant free kick that substitute goalkeeper Adam Hrehoresin just tipped over the bar. Hooks repeated the dose two minutes later and once again Hrehoresin rose to the occasion to save a certain goal. From the resultant corner kick Jack Webster saw his firmly placed header flash wide of the post. It was end to end stuff for the rest of the game with neither side able to capitalise on their chances. A point for each team was a just result with both sides having plenty to look forward to for the remainder of the campaign.   
< Prev   Next >