Sunshine George Cross

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size


E-mail Print PDF

The Georgie’s first visit to Quarries Park in Clifton Hill brought no joy to our camp on Saturday afternoon as George Cross slumped to their second defeat in three matches.
Coach Corey Smith reacted to the previous week’s defeat by including Jake Francis, Ryan Leetch and James Kemal in the starting line-up in place of Hugh Undy, Deang Aguek and the injured Chris Triantos.

Going into this match there was an air of expectancy that our team would be able to register their first win of the season. What transpired after 90 minutes of hard slogging football was sheer frustrations and disappointment for all?

Right from the kick-off Clifton Hill was on the front foot and forced our team to defend. However it was George Cross that took the lead after 10 minutes from their first breakaway attack when a hard drive by Daniel Slovacek was blocked and the rebound was expertly tucked away by Jake Francis.

The much sought after first goal of the season didn’t inspire our team to go on with the job as within 9 minutes the home team drew level when a shot from just inside the penalty-area whizzed through a sea of legs to end up in the back of the net.

Clifton Hill was playing with zest and vigor that belied their lowly position and it was no surprise when they took the lead after 40th minutes.

George Cross responded immediately when Yuji Kin scored the equalizer from a great free-kick that rocketed into the top corner of the net.

Though we went in level at the break level the general consensus was our team was well below what was expected and was clearly second best.

The frustrations didn’t ease up throughout the second half especially after Clifton Hill took the lead from a poorly conceded goal after 56 minutes.

The Georgies tried desperately to get back into the game, but found it difficult creating goal-scoring chances.

Yuji Kin tried desperately to make things happen in attack, but he was starved supply and played a lone hand in attack.

George Cross continued to huff and puff and applied some late pressure in search of an equalizer, but it was Clifton Hill that nearly added to the score when a long range shot struck the upright and was cleared.